[tomoyo-users-en 658] Re: caitsith-queryd suggestion

Back to archive index
Tetsuo Handa pengu****@I-lov*****
Sun Oct 23 09:12:49 JST 2016

Hello.

Darrell wrote:
> Because Caitsith has the functionality to create deny rules, I was
> wondering if you would be open to adding functionality to
> caitsith-queryd to ignore certain deny rules. I would like to propose a
> "query 0" rule which when triggered with caitsith-queryd running, would
> silently bypass prompting.

I wonder for what purpose you are trying to keep caitsith-queryd running.
I think that we use caitsith-queryd only when we do something unusual
(e.g. running software updater) for handling unexpected requests.

> For example, using the following ruleset I am trying to block
> inet_stream_connect connections for all applications, except those I've
> whitelisted. I want to be prompted by queryd for violations of this rule
> like normal. However, I also want to block blacklisted applications and
> not be prompted by caitsith-queryd.
>
> 0 acl inet_stream_connect
>    audit 1
>    query 0
>    10 deny task.exe="/usr/bin/rsync"
>
> 10 acl inet_stream_connect
>    audit 1
>    10 allow task.exe="/usr/bin/curl"
>    100 deny

Apart from "query 0", I don't understand what you want to do with these rules.
The latter rule allows only /usr/bin/curl to use connect(AF_INET or AF_INET6)
on SOCK_STREAM sockets.

If you don't want /usr/bin/rsync to generate a query, you want to implement
something like below?

10 acl inet_stream_connect
   audit 1
   10 allow task.exe="/usr/bin/curl"
   20 deny task.exe="/usr/bin/rsync" ignore_query
   100 deny

> If this functionality already exists through more clever rule writing,
> please excuse my ignorance. If not, any consideration you may give to my
> idea would be appreciated.

But even if there is a scenario where keeping caitsith-queryd always running
makes sense, I don't think we need to implement it in the kernel side as
policy syntax. Adding a configuration file for caitsith-queryd (e.g.
/etc/caitsith/tools/queryd.conf ) and enumerating filtering rules as with
/etc/caitsith/tools/auditd.conf will be cleaner.